Masterpost: On Anime ‘Writing’ Project
July 21, 2016 3 Comments
|Since I’ve managed to pick up all the interviews I was looking for, it’s probably time I set up a Masterpost for this On Anime ‘Writing’ project of mine.|
As many of you will already know, I’m currently carrying out a blog project about the role that anime screenwriters—such as Okada Mari, Urobuchi Gen and Yoshino Hiroyuki—play in the anime production process. All related posts can be found under the tag, but this is where I’ll keep a record of all the editorials and translations that I’ve published as part of it, along with links to any other relevant translations I’ve done in the past.
If you’re new to this project, I recommend starting with my first editorial, where I compared the ‘writing’ stages of the typical anime production with that of Avatar: The Legend of Korra. A more comprehensive collection of links to behind-the-scenes resources can also be found on ‘White Box’ Treasure. I hope you find this project interesting and informative, and that you will join in the discussion on anime production here and elsewhere!
Outline of the Project, Upcoming Features and Trades
I launched this project at the start of Spring 2016, and am aiming to post an interview translation or an editorial at least once a fortnight. The works I plan to cover include AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day and the Psycho-Pass franchise. I also intend to translate a number of interviews with directors, screenwriters and producers, including:
- Kawamori Shōji’s Bandai Channel Creators Selection interview
- Urobuchi Gen’s “Hello world” interview from Newtype, December 2014
- The Nagai x Tanaka x Okada discussion on AnoHana in this edition of Anime Style, from which a few false Okada rumours seem to have been born.
However, I’m always on the look out for more material, such as:
- Any Psycho-Pass magazine interviews that haven’t been translated yet.
- Any Aldnoah.Zero interviews that I do not have, but especially the one that has this snippet. Unfortunately, I don’t know which publication it appeared in, or if it’s even real, though the image suggests that it should be… But here’s a rundown of all the interviews/articles I’ve collected so far.
- And any (other) interviews about AnoHana, Wandering Son and Your Lie in April.
If you have anything on the writers, directors or producers of the series mentioned above, please let me know. I’d be happy to trade a translation or comparable interview for them. Additionally, if there are other series or interviews that you think I should look at, please drop me a note as well, and I’ll see if I can slot them in.
|Yoroshiku! (Image source: here)|
List of project posts
- Project Launch
- A comparison with the ‘writing’ of Avatar: The Legend of Korra (editorial)
- Kiznaiver and Mayoiga: Okada Mari in Spring 2016 (editorial)
- Flashback 2011: Yamamoto Koji on the future of noitaminA
- Okada Mari on Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
- Okada Mari on the people who’ve made her who she is
- Director Yasuda Kenji on Macross ∆
- Kawamori Shōji x Yoshino Hiroyuki on Creating Macross Frontier
- Yoshino Hiroyuki’s interview from the Frontier official fan book: On Writing Macross Frontier
- Kawamori Shōji’s interview from the Frontier official fan book: On Conceptualising Macross Frontier
- Kikuchi Yasuhito’s interview from the Frontier official fan book: Remembering Love via Macross Frontier
- Kawamori Shōji’s interview from 2059: Memories: Talking ‘story’ in Macross Frontier, and his commentary on each and every episode of the series.
- Kikuchi Yasuhito on making The False Diva
Complete list of translations (and summaries)
AOKI Ei (Director)
Aldnoah.Zero (more here)
As a guest on Aldnoah.Radio #14
Animedia November 2014 Interview
Newtype May 2015 Interview
Special Dialogue with Nagano Toshiyuki, Animedia May 2015
The creation of Aldnoah.Zero
KISHI Seiji (Director)
Rampo Kitan: Game of Laplace talk event—The Red Room
KAWAMORI Shōji (Director)
Newtype July 2007 Interview
On Creating Macross Frontier (with screenwriter Yoshino Hiroyuki from Animage Original vol.1)
Macross Frontier TV Series Episode Commentaries (01, 10, 12, 25)
On writing Macross Frontier, and his comments on each episode (from 2059: Memories)
On conceptualising Macross Frontier (from the Official Fan Book)
Macross Frontier Sayonara no Tsubasa Official Complete Book Interview
Sheryl ~Kiss in the Galaxy~ vol. 1 interview
Sheryl ~Kiss in the Galaxy~ vol. 3 discussion with KOYAMA Kariko and EBATA Risa
Sheryl ~Kiss in the Galaxy~ vol. 4 interview
OKADA Mari (Screenwriter)
Bandai Channel Creators Selection Interview
Part 1: Okada on Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans.
Part 2: Okada on the people who’ve made her who she is.
Kiznaiver and Mayoiga: Okada Mari in Spring 2016
OGURO Yuichirō (Screenwriter and Journalist)
On (Anime) Screenwriting #1
UROBUCHI Gen (Writer)
The creation of Aldnoah.Zero
YAMAMOTO Kōji (former noitaminA Producer)
CUT June 2011 Interview
YASUDA Kenji (Director)
Bandai Channel Creators Selection Interview (2nd half on Macross ∆)
YOSHINO Hiroyuki (Screenwriter)
On Creating Macross Frontier (with director Kawamori Shōji)
On Writing Macross Frontier (interview from the Macross F fan book)
Macross Frontier TV Series Episode Commentaries (04, 16, 18)